- 2 small leeks or 1 large leek, white and pale green parts only
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or dill
Cut leeks in half lengthwise; rinse thoroughly under water. Cut crosswise into thin slices, place in a colander and rinse again.
Melt butter in a sauce pot over medium heat. Add the leeks; cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in rice; cook, stirring frequently, until the grains become somewhat translucent, about 1 minute. Stir in mustard, salt and pepper until combined. Pour in broth and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, remove from the head and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.