- 1 pound white firm flesh fish fillet (barrimundi, tilapia, catfish or flounder would work)
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan hot bean sauce
- One 1" piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 scallion, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/4 cup Szechuan dried red chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 cups fish or chicken stock
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 cup napa cabbage, cut up
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons rice wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Cut fish into 2" pieces. Mix Fish Marinade ingredients and toss well with fish fillet. Set aside to marinade for 20 minutes.
Heat oil in a large pot. Add hot bean sauce and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ginger, garlic, half of scallions, Szechuan peppercorns, and dried chili peppers. Cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes, being careful not to burn the peppercorns or chili peppers. Add rice wine and soy sauce and stir another minute. Add stock and bring to a boil.
Place celery and napa cabbage in a clay casserole. Lay marinated fish on top.
Pour soup on top of fish. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes until fish is cooked through.