- 1 whole chicken, about 5 to 6 pounds, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- Salt and Pepper
- Crushed red pepper
- 1 pound mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chiffonade basil
- 1/2 pound cooked fettuccine or spaghetti (tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper)
- 4 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
Season the chicken and the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, coating completely and shaking off the excess.
In a large Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and brown for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken and set aside.
Add the onions. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt and red pepper. Continue to saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and stock. Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the bay leaf, thyme and basil.
Add the chicken back to the mixture. Reduce the heat to medium and cover. Simmer for 1 hour or until tender.
Mound the pasta in the center of each plate. Lay the chicken over the pasta. Spoon the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with cheese and parsley.